Admission to candidacy
To summarize the requirements described above, students must complete the requirements for (1) Coursework (2) Research experiences and (3) Teaching experiences to be considered for candidacy. The advisory committee will review the candidacy portfolio. The year 3 advisory committee meeting may be combined with the candidacy meeting if the student has met all candidacy requirements by the end of year 3.
The following components of the candidacy portfolio will be evaluated by the committee to assess admission to candidacy:
1. Satisfactory completion of coursework (program specialization, research tools, related area, required teaching, attendance in scholarly talks)
2. Satisfactory completion and defense of QRP, RR, and RP. Written products from the two research projects (QRP, RR) and the RP should be submitted to the committee for review. Additionally, it is expected that the student submits either the QRP or the RR to a peer-reviewed publication outlet as the first author. Evidence demonstrating manuscript submission is expected to be included in the portfolio.
3. Teaching portfolio: teaching statement, syllabus, reading list, assignments, and handouts/overheads/slides for the five lectures.
4. Annual student activity reports from all previous years
5. A brief (60 lines) description of dissertation or proposal
The portfolio is to be presented to the Advisory Committee at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting, defended orally, with special attention to the way the body of work relates to the existing work in the relevant field(s) of study. Approval of the portfolio will be the last step leading to candidacy. The outcome of the defense will be decided by majority vote of the committee.