Frequently Asked Questions

Students applying for the PhD program should contact one or two faculty members with aligned research interest(s) before applying, to schedule a phone or Zoom interview or arrange a visit to meet at the American Speech and Hearing Association. Please visit our faculty bios to obtain contact information. You must seek confirmation from a faculty member that they are willing to consider serving in the role as your mentor in order to apply. This confirmation does not guarantee acceptance in the PhD program and/or that this faculty member will serve in this role should you receive acceptance. Final decisions are made after a full review by the admissions committee.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I establish Texas residency?
Rules and Regulations for determining residence status are set by the Texas Higher Education Board. More information regarding Texas Residency may be found at The Office of Graduate and International Admissions website.

Where do graduate students live?
No single housing solution exists for The University of Texas at Austin’s graduate student population, but these resources may help you find a place to call home—whether you want an apartment close to the university with an easy commute or a house in the suburbs with a yard for the kids.

Also, check out:

Utexas Rent    Off Campus Housing

Do you offer a graduate program in Deaf Education?
Unfortunately, we have had to discontinue our graduate program in Deaf Education (lack of faculty resources), and we are no longer admitting students to that particular concentration. The following web site may be helpful to you in locating alternate programs: It is not necessary to register and log on the site in order to view the national list of accredited Deaf Education graduate programs.

Do you offer a distance-learning (online) program?
No, at this time the Department does not offer a full-time distance-learning or correspondence basis programs.  We do however, teach a few (undergraduate) courses to SLHS enrolled students in the summer session through a web-based option.  Classes offered are subject to change based on enrollment numbers.

I am not interested in clinical certification. Do you have a non-certification Master's program?
Yes. Master's programs for students not seeking certification are typically more focused on research and are individually tailored to meet each student's needs and interests. The Graduate Office can provide more information about such programs and options.

What if I have a complaint?
If the complaint cannot be resolved through good-faith discussions between the two parties, then the next step is to bring the issue to the Department Chair for resolution. The Chair is generally the final authority on such matters. Another source for complaint resolution is the University’s Office of the Student Ombuds (512-471-3825). For a complaint against the AuD or MSSLHS Program, contact the Council on Academic Accreditation (, 800-498-2071).

Do you offer visits to the program?
We encourage you to attend the Info Day which is held during the fall semester. Individual visits are more difficult to schedule due to the heavy load our faculty have with research, coursework and scheduled meetings.  The center, labs and institute's schedules make it also difficult to tour those facilities during individual tours. The Info Day will be your opportunity in the fall to talk to our faculty, tour the facilities, talk to our current students, and visit our center, labs, and institute. We encourage you to plan to join us during this special event. 

Do you mail out application materials?
No. All information and application materials are online. Applying for Graduate Admissions at The University of Texas at Austin is a multi-step process that starts with the ApplyTexas application. For more info on Graduate Admissions, click here.

What semesters do you accept new graduate students?
We accept applications for the fall semester ONLY.

When do I apply?
Applying for any of our graduate programs starts by submitting your ApplyTexas application. The application opens September 1 and closes December 15. The deadline for all SLHS areas of study is December 15.

Do all materials need to be submitted by the deadline (December 15)?
Yes. We encourage you to have all your required materials submitted by December 15. However, we do understand that letters of recommendation might arrive after the deadline as the recommender has 45 days the time to submit the letter from the day the request was sent. Also, if the applicant wants to submit transcripts with Fall grades posted on it, those transcripts can arrive after the deadline of December 15. Please note that we strongly encourage to have all required documents submitted by January 5 as we start our review process around that time.  All applications will be reviewed by the admissions committee.

How much is the application fee, and where do I send it?
The application fee for U.S. applicants is $65, and for International applicants it is $90. You may pay by Visa or MasterCard at the ApplyTexas website, or you can mail a check. Clear instructions are given within the ApplyTexas application.

Do I upload all the required documents in the ApplyTexas application or on my MyStatus page?
You upload all your materials on the MyStatus page. You do not upload your materials to the ApplyTexas application. Once you have access to your MyStatus profile, you can use the Document Upload system link to upload the documents you need to submit as part of your application.

Are interviews required?
Interviews are required for those applying for the Ph.D. program. Applicants interested in the PhD program should contact (a) faculty member(s)  you wish to mentor with to arrange a visit to meet at the annual ASHA Convention or here at UT Austin. Academic Faculty Bios are available to help you determine which faculty member best fits your interest. We encourage you to contact at least two faculty members. Doctoral applicants are expected to interview (either in person or Zoom). Please visit the Academic Faculty Bios for contact information.

We do not offer individual interviews for MSSLHS applicants at this time. Applicants applying to the AuD program maybe asked for an interview. Please note this interview is not indicative of any status during the application process.

Our open house (Info Day) is your opportunity to visit our program. Unfortunately due to the heavy load our faculty have with research, coursework and scheduled meetings and the overwhelming request for individual visits, we ask you to attend our yearly Info Day. The Info day will be your opportunity in the Fall to meet and greet our faculty, tour our facilities, ask questions, meet students and learn more about our programs. We encourage you to plan to join us during this yearly event.

Does UT Austin - SLHS require a clinic deposit for admission?
No, we do not require a deposit for admissions into any of our graduate programs.

How many hours of observation and clinical practicum are required to complete my AuD program?
Our Doctor of Audiology (AuD) students are required to complete 1820 hours, including clinical practicum here at the UT Speech and Hearing Center and off-campus with their fourth year externship.

ALL students are encouraged to complete their observation hours before entering the Graduate program here at UT Austin. Observation hours should be properly documented and certified (including signature of supervisor and ASHA certification number) by the institution at which they were earned.

What is the clinic and class load for graduate students each semester? 
Students typically take 12-15 credit hours each long semester (coursework plus clinical practicum), for a total of 100-108 credit hours (including practicum) over the whole course of the program. In terms of the weekly time commitment, being a graduate student in this program is essentially the equivalent of a full-time job. Students normally take courses and/or continue practicum in the summer sessions.  Outside employment is highly discouraged.

How long does it take to complete the AuD graduate program in SLHS?
The program is designed to be completed in four years for AuD students:

Year 1 - Fall-Spring-Summer

Year 2 - Fall-Spring-Summer

Year 3 - Fall-Spring-Summer

Year 4 - Fall-Spring OR Fall only

Can I specialize in bilingualism?
The SLHS department offers a Bilingual Certificate (with an emphasis on Spanish/English bilingual populations) to students at the MSSLHS level in Speech Language Pathology. The purpose of the certificate is to foster the development of the competencies required to serve bilingual individuals with communication disorders.

Do you offer other specializations besides the Bilingual Certificate?
At the master’s level we provide you with knowledge across the life span and across various communications impairments. You can gain specialization experience by participation on a training grant or in a faculty members’ laboratory. At this time, we only offer the bilingualism/multicultural specialization.

How many hours are required to complete the MSSLHS program? How many hours of coursework are required each semester?
In Speech-Language Pathology, a total of of 57-60 hours of course work over five semesters (1st summer included).  Please visit the MSSLHS Course Sequence page for more info about the breakdown

How many hours of observation and clinical practicum are required to complete my Master’s program?
Our Speech-Language Pathology MSSLHS program requires a total of at least 400 clock hours of practicum. At least 25 hours must have been spent in clinical observation and at least 375 clock hours must have been spent in direct client/patient contact. For more details, please check our Practicum page.

ALL students are required to complete their observation hours before entering the Graduate program here at UT Austin. Observation hours should be properly documented and certified (including signature of supervisor and ASHA certification number) by the institution at which they were earned.

What is the clinic and class load for graduate students each semester?
Students typically take 15 credit hours each long semester. In terms of the weekly time commitment, being a graduate student in this program is essentially the equivalent of a full-time job. Students normally take courses and continue practicum in the summer sessions.

Are there research opportunities for MSSLHS students?
Yes, there are opportunities by getting involved as a volunteer or (graduate) research assistant in the faculty research labs once you arrive here.  Volunteering in a research lab often leads to a thesis subject and provides you with in-depth knowledge in the various fields we cover.

How long does it take to complete the MSSLHS graduate program?
The program is designed to be completed in five semesters:

Year 1 - Fall-Spring-Summer

Year 2 - Fall-Spring

Can I transfer credit for graduate courses taken elsewhere?
The coursework must meet the approval of our academic faculty.  UT Austin Graduate School will only allow a limited number of courses (six hours) to be transferred to UT Austin unless the Department petitions otherwise.  Typically you would need to apply for admission into our graduate program and then our faculty will decide on a decision to either admit or deny your application.  You may be contacted to provide syllabi for each course you have taken elsewhere before an admission decision is made.   The grade must be either A or B and the course must be graduate level.  You may be asked to retake graduate coursework to fulfill our requirements here at UT Austin.  There is no guarantee of admission and there is no guarantee that coursework taken elsewhere will count towards a degree in our programs here at UT Austin. For more information, click here.

I am currently enrolled in a Master's or AuD program at another institution. Can I transfer to UT Austin?
Transfer is not automatic. Even if you are in a graduate program, you must apply in the usual way. Your application will be considered along with all others received by the deadline date. If you are admitted, then we will review your previous coursework to determine which courses can be counted towards your degree and certification plans. You may be asked to retake graduate coursework to fulfill our requirements here at UT Austin. There is no guarantee of admission and there is not guarantee that coursework taken elsewhere will count towards a degree in our programs here at UT Austin.

How much are tuition and fees?
Fees for resident and non-resident may be viewed here

Is financial aid available?
U.S. Citizens and permanent residents may apply for federal financial aid through the Office of Financial Aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the cost to attend?
The Office of Student Financial Services provides Cost of Attendance data regarding tuition/fees and other costs such as housing, which should help with your financial planning.

Are scholarships or fellowships available?
Fellowships and assistantships (teaching, research) are available, on a competitive basis, within the Department. We consider all admitted students for such aid; no special application is required for fellowships. Departmental aid is not considered until after the applicant has been admitted and has accepted the offer.  For MSSLHS and AuD students: If admitted and you accept our offer of admission, we will inform you if any TA or RA positions are available for incoming students.  Typically, students do not find out if they will receive an assignment such as this until mid August just prior to our New Graduate Student Orientation. 

I am not a resident of Texas, can I apply for a non-resident tuition waivers?
No. The Department only receives a limited number of non- resident tuition waivers.  These are therefore carefully considered and awarded on a competitive basis.  All out of state students are eligible; no special application is required.  Decisions are based on admissions applications for incoming students and on yearly progress for returning students.

Do my electronic letters of recommendation (ELOR) have to come from faculty, or would my supervisor at work be able to write a recommendation for me?
Letters from faculty in the Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences area with whom you have taken courses and/or worked on research projects are the most helpful to our admission committees. Letters from employment supervisors are accepted but from those supervisors who work in SLHS or a related field. We recommend to submit at least some input from academic faculty with whom you have worked. Failure to provide all three letters of reference may result in your application NOT going to review with our admissions committees.

My faculty refuse to upload their letters electronically. What do I do?
We understand that some institutions mail from Career Centers or faculty choose not to upload their letters electronically, however this is standard University practice in many universities.  We urge you to comply with these guidelines. If you have any other questions, please contact the SLHS Graduate Office. Make sure to include your full name and UT EID in all correspondence.

How do my recommenders submit their electronic letter of recommendation (ELOR)?
Electronic letters of recommendation requests are emailed to the recommenders after the applicant submits their application and pays they admissions fee. After your application loads on the Office of Graduate Admissions (OGA) system (which is one to two business days), your recommenders will receive a link to provide your letter of recommendation.

Two recommendation request emails are sent to the recommender from OGA, one with a link to the online recommendation and another without the link that essentially says "did you receive the email with the link. If not, reply to this email."

A recommender may not receive the email request because either the email address was incorrect or their spam blocker is deleting it. If the recommender does not receive the request, the MyStatus page offers a self-service feature you can use to resend the request email to your recommenders, if necessary. Use it to supply an alternate email address if your recommender's spam filter blocks the original request or has removed the link. You can also add a new recommender or revise your right-to-view status from "retained" to "waived."

The recommender completes the online recommendation and submits it. The letter of recommendation (LOR) status appears in MyStatus, including the name of the recommender, the date that it was sent, and, if received the received date.

How and when will my recommender receive the request?
Your recommenders will receive an email from with instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation. The email is triggered within 1-2 business days after you pay the application fee and submit your application.

I have a bachelor’s degree in another field other than SLHS. May I start the Master of Science in Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences (MSSLHS) program or the Doctor of Audiology (AuD) program and complete the required prerequisites at the same time?
No. An applicant that has not completed the required prerequisites WILL NOT be competitive for admission. Remember, you will be competing against students that already have a SLHS undergraduate degree or have already completed all of the leveling coursework. To be truly competitive, an applicant must demonstrate that s/he WILL complete all prerequisite courses prior to the beginning of graduate study. We suggest that all applicants without the prerequisite courses take them first either here at UT Austin or at another institution as a SLHS undergraduate non-degree seeker. It will take you one year to successfully complete all the required leveling coursework. Please visit our link for Leveling Admission Instructions.

Do all the prerequisite courses have to be completed at the time I apply?
No. All prerequisites need to be completed by the time you START the graduate program. We understand that you may still need to take courses in the spring and/or summer (after you have submitted your application).

What if I earned observation hours or clinical practicum in my undergraduate institution? Will I be able to count those hours?
In most cases, yes, provided the hours are properly documented and certified by the institution at which they were earned (there needs to be some sort of signature from a SLHS program OR a cover letter from the university certifying they verified the SLP's licensure/certification status and they approve the student's hours.). If admitted into our graduate program, then you'll need to verify these hours with our Clinical Faculty during our orientation with new incoming graduate students.  All newly admitted students will receive instructions on this process. A maximum of 50 clinical practicum hours earned as an undergraduate may be counted, provided the hours are properly documented and certified by the institution at which they were earned.

Documentation should include:

  1. Date of observation/ Date of clinical experience
  2. Record the initials of Client observed
  3. Record the Age of Client observed 
  4. Type of experience (Speech/Language, Diagnostic/Intervention, Child/Adult)
  5. Total hours observed
  6. Supervisor's signature (only those supervisors who are certified with CCCs)
  7. Supervisors' ASHA number for verification.
  8. Program verification from the institution you were enrolled in at the time of the experience.

Please note that the GRE requirement has been waived based on COVID-19 related admission guidance from the Graduate School for Fall 2024 Admissions. When submitting your application, please allow 72 hours for the GRE requirement to be removed from your “to do” list in MyStatus. There is no need to reach out in the interim.

What is the ETS code for UT Austin?
The ETS code for UT Austin is 6882.

What are the median GRE scores and GPAs of students accepted for admission?
The average scores of those admitted in the fall MSSLHS program:
GPA 3.89 GRE V: 157/ GRE Q: 154/ WRIT: 4

The average scores of those admitted in the fall AuD program:
GPA 3.85 GRE V: 152/ GRE Q:150/ WRIT: 4

The GRE Concordance table for prior OLD GRE test scale and currently NEW REVISED test scale is here 

Although the GPA and GRE scores as part of our review they are not solely the criteria for admission. Our admissions committees also strongly considers all materials in your application such as your statement of purpose, letters of reference, résumé, transcripts, research experience, and prerequisite coursework or lack of when making our admission decisions.

For more information on admissions and enrollment statistics, click here.

When is it too late to take the GRE?
Your official GRE score report must reach the Office of Graduate Admissions (OGA) by the required SLHS deadline dates. It is in your best interest to take the (GRE® revised General Test) at least 4-6 months prior to the deadline date so that you may have the opportunity to retake if necessary. GRE exams taken after the required deadline date WILL NOT be accepted.

I have taken the GRE more than once. Which score will be considered?
The admissions committee reviews all application materials in your file. Therefore the reviewers have access to both scores (if you have sent both scores) and it is up to the discretion of the reviewers to use all materials during the holistic review of the application. 

Am I required to take the "Analytical Writing Portion" of the GRE?
It is mandatory that you take all three areas (Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical) of the GRE exam.

Faculty will also use your Statement of Purpose which you are required to submit to evaluate your writing skills.

I took the GRE more than five years ago. Will the score count?
No. GRE scores are valid for a maximum of 5 years. We consider GRE scores official/valid if they can be sent electronically directly from ETS to UT Austin. 

What are the English language test requirements for international applicants?
The minimum scores considered for acceptable for admissions by the Graduate School are:

TOEFL: 79 on the Internet-based test (iBT). TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years after the test date.

IELTS: an overall band of 6.5 on the Academic Examination

For more information, click here

Where do I send my transcripts?
We do not accept transcripts via email. Official transcripts should be sent electronically from your undergraduate institution through the SPEEDE server to the Office of Graduate and International Admissions Center.  While the SPEEDE server is maintained by the National Clearinghouse (NSC), transcripts sent via SPEEDE are not the same as the PDF files you obtain from the NSC.  When ordering your transcript, please make sure your institution is aware that you want the transcript sent via SPEEDE to UT Austin.  If you are asked to enter an email address, you are not requesting the transcript via SPEEDE.  You will only have one opportunity to upload your transcripts.  You will not be able to upload any transcripts until your application fee has been satisfied.

Students from OUTSIDE institutions that do not use the SPEEDE server should request a transcript, open it, scan it and upload as a .pdf document to your MyStatus page. For more information about uploading transcripts, click here 

  • If you are a UT Austin student, an additional fee will be requested on the ApplyTexas application. The additional fee takes care of your transcripts being uploaded electronically from the UT Austin Registrar's Office to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
  • If your college or university uses Parchment, you can have your transcript(s) sent electronically. Please see the Parchment ordering guide for more information.

May I wait and upload my transcripts after I receive my fall grades?
Transcripts should be uploaded by the December 15 deadline if at all possible. We do understand that some students wish to upload transcripts which post their fall grades so we are allowing you to upload your transcripts through January 5. Here at UT Austin, the transcripts are not released for Fall until after the "official graduation date". Please note that you will only have one opportunity to upload your transcripts.

You will not be able to upload any transcripts until your application fee has been satisfied. For more information about uploading transcripts, click here 

Do I have to provide you all my transcripts of all the schools I have attended?
You must provide one copy of the official academic transcript from every senior college you have attended. Even if courses taken at one institution are recorded on another college's transcript, transcripts must be submitted from the institution at which the courses were taken. Failure to list all colleges on the application and provide those transcripts will be considered an intentional omission and may lead to the cancellation of your application for admission or withdrawal of your offer of admission.

What information should I include in my Statement of Purpose?
Please follow the Graduate Admission Instructions of the program you wish to apply to for more details.

How competitive is admission?
In a typical year we will admit approximately 30% of the total applicants.

How many students are admitted into the graduate program each Fall?
Each Fall we aim to enroll 25-27 new students in the MSSLHS program , 8-10 new students in the AuD program, and 3 new students in the PhD program.

How does the admissions committee determine which applicants are admitted to the graduate program?
We evaluate each and every application individually, carefully weighing all factors such as GRE scores, upper-division (junior-senior level) grades, Statement of Purpose (Essay), and letters of recommendation. Successful applicants will be those who, in the judgment of the faculty admissions committees, show the greatest promise for success as a graduate student in our program and as a professional after graduation. We do not employ arbitrary threshold or minimum values for such factors as GRE scores or GPA to determine which applications are evaluated for admission, nor do we have geographic preferences or quotas; all applications are considered carefully.

How do I find out the status of my application?
Visit your MyStatus page. Do not call or email the SLHS Graduate Office to get an update on your status.

When will I find out if I have been admitted to any of the SLHS graduate programs?
Decisions are typically posted on your MyStatus page the week prior to UT dismissing for Spring Break. It is in your best interest to use a personal email account instead of your school account. If at anytime you email address changes then you should update your email through your ApplyTexas application.

How soon does your office need to know my decision of acceptance if I am admitted into the SLHS graduate program?
We would like to know as soon as possible, but in any case students have until April 15 to submit their decision on their MyStatus page, which is the institutional deadline across the US.

Can I defer my enrollment?
ONLY in extraordinary circumstances, with permission of the Graduate Advisor of the area, a student who has been admitted to the program may defer enrollment to the following year. Please email the SLHS Graduate Office with such request.

SLHS Graduate Office

Phone: (512) 471-2385